This page is designed to assist Teachers and School Administrators in understanding the BASEF rules and eligibility requirements.
The Bay Area Science and Engineering Fair is a competition open to all grade seven through twelve students from Hamilton, Halton Region, Haldimand County, Norfolk County, Brant County and Six Nations. Students may attend any public, separate or private school or be home schooled. Participants must be under the age of 21 before June of the BASEF year.
For a complete list of eligibility rules and registration requirements see Eligibility Rules.
To help you register, check out our Teacher/Parent Registration Guide.
Late Registrations cannot be accepted.
Please note the following:
- Signed consent from a school representative is NOT required for student participation.
- Total registration is limited by the fair’s host site capacity and funding. In the case of over-registration, the BASEF Registrar will determine which projects will be permitted to participate.
- Limits to the number of projects per school are set per level (junior/intermediate/senior). If more than the maximum number of projects register from any single school at the close of registration, the BASEF Registrar will work with the school and school board to determine which projects will qualify to participate in BASEF.
- Forms do NOT need be sent to us before the fair.
- Students and parents must identify, complete, sign and bring all required forms to the fair for project setup and registartion.
- The Registrar may ask for forms to be faxed or emailed to us before the fair in certain cases.
Scientific fraud and misconduct are not condoned at any level of research or competition. Such practices include plagiarism, forgery, use or presentation of other researcher’s work as one’s own and fabrication of data. Fraudulent projects will fail to qualify for competition in BASEF, CWSF or the ISEF.
Resources & Links
Teachers may find the following resources and links useful:
- Science Success! Teacher’s Guide
- Project Resources Links
- Teacher’s Guide to Registration (PDF)
- Junior Level (Grades 7 & 8) Registration Guide (PDF)
- Intermediate/Senior Level (Grades 9-12) Registration Guide (PDF)
- Junior Level (Grades 7 & 8) Rules Wizard
- High School Level ISEF Rules Wizard
- BASEF Eligibility Rules
- Forms Listing