Rules for Intermediate & Senior (Grades9-12)
High School projects must meet both the YSC (Youth Science Canada) rules and the ISEF (International Science & Engineering Fair) rules, which can be much more strict.
- Use the ISEF Rules Wizard and the BASEF Rules Wizard to to help determine the Rules, Policies and Forms that may apply to your project.
- The International Rules and Guidelines Page provides links to all the ISEF rules, as well as an FAQ section of questions and answers.
There are also helpful tips in the ISEF Student Handbook, and Intermediate/Senior Forms Listing. Even though High School projects must meet both YSC and ISEF rules, only ISEF forms need to be completed.
Step by Step
Typical steps for develop a Science Fair Project:
- Pick your topic, possibly the most difficult part. Check out the Science Success! handbook and our Project Resources page.
- Research your topic. Learn more from the internet, the library, your science teacher, and other resources.
- Check out the Rules. Use the “Wizard” questionnaires listed below to identify the rules and forms you will need.
Some projects need to be approved by a teacher or school before you start, and some projects may also need to be conducted in appropriate facilities or under scientific supervision.
- Make a Time Table and Plan your Experiment.
- Consult with your Adult Supervisor and Get Required Approvals.
- Conduct your Experiment. Keep detailed notes of every experiment and measurement, track your data in a journal or log book.
- Analyze your Results.
- Draw Conclusions, and write up your results.
- A Parent/Guardian must consent to each student’s participation in the Fair.
- Register for BASEF on time. Check out the event calendar for the Online Registration starting date. Make sure to record your Registration ID number.
- Use the ISEF Rules Wizard and the Forms Listing to determine which Forms you need for your project. Keep your forms in a safe place, and bring them with you to the fair.
- The BASEF Registrar may request that you email your project forms before the fair. If the requested forms are not received before the fair your project will be disqualified and you will not be permitted to display.
- Prepare a project backboard for display at the Fair with your project details. Pay attention to all the Display and Safety Rules involved!
- Print out the BASEF Consent Form. Students and a parent or guardian must sign this form and bring it to registration for project setup.
- See you at the Science Fair!